Litigation and Risk Management Paralegal
Jeremy A. Burgess*
Jeremy A. Burgess* is a Litigation Associate with Reed Pope Law Corporation. Jeremy practices corporate commercial litigation, focusing primarily on disputes concerning real property, construction, commercial contracts and corporate matters including:
- Builders’ liens in residential and commercial construction and related collections and litigation
- Negligent construction (contractual disputes, undisclosed defects and deficiencies)
- Disputes related to real property interests and rights (easements, trespass, encroachments)
- Contractual disputes (disputes over provision of services, interpretation of contracts, termination)
- Real property purchases (collapsed transactions, defects, claims for specific performance)
- Commercial lease disputes (interpretation, termination, damages, orders for possession)
*Practicing as Jeremy A. Burgess Law Corporation
Jeremy also assists clients with complicated residential tenancy matters, defamation claims, collections for strata corporations and insurance claims.
Before joining Reed Pope, Jeremy practiced as a corporate commercial litigator in the Okanagan for ten years where he represented clients in the Provincial Court of British Columbia, Supreme Court of British Columbia and British Columbia Court of Appeal. He also represented the Public Prosecution Service of Canada, frequently appearing before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia.
After attending law school at University of Victoria, Jeremy and his wife were thrilled to return to Vancouver Island in 2021. In his free time, Jeremy enjoys playing ultimate frisbee, volleyball and working hard at the gym. Jeremy and his wife enjoy the natural beauty of Vancouver Island and embracing the dizzying number of opportunities the area presents for food and drink lovers.
Education and Qualifications
Called to the British Columbia Bar (2012)
Juris Doctor – University of Victoria (2011)
Bachelor of Arts (Sociology major, Psychology minor) – University of British Columbia, Okanagan (2008)
Professional and Community Associations
Canadian Bar Association
Victoria Bar Association
Law Society of British Columbia
University of British Columbia – Okanagan – Behavioral Research Ethics Board member