Thomas S. McLachlan*
Thomas S. McLachlan* is a Principal of Reed Pope Law Corporation and practices in the firm’s Real Estate Law Group focussing primarily on real estate development advice and services including:
- Real estate development marketing and sales (pre-sale projects, disclosure statements, purchase contracts, development covenants, and conveyancing)
- Strata corporation development and governance (bare land, residential, mixed-use, phased projects, and strata bylaws)
- Resort offerings (fractional interests, headlease / sublease structures, timeshare hotels, rental pools, and home owner associations)
- All aspects of land titles practice (easements, right of ways, covenants, statutory building schemes, subdivisions, road dedications, and crown land tenure such as foreshore leases)
- Matters arising out of the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, Real Estate Services Act, the Land Title Act, and the Strata Property Act
Thomas’ practice also includes business and construction law including: incorporations, financing, commercial leasing, commercial agreements, buying and selling businesses, review and drafting of construction contracts, and providing advice on builders lien claims and compliance under the Builders Lien Act.
Before joining Reed Pope, Thomas articled at a boutique law firm in downtown Vancouver specializing in construction litigation where he represented clients in British Columbia’s Provincial and Supreme Court.
Thomas enjoys spending his free time playing music, camping with his family, and running.
*practicing as Thomas McLachlan Law Corporation
Education and Qualifications
- Called to the British Columbia Bar (2014)
- JD – University of Victoria (2013)
- BA – University of Victoria (2010)
Professional Associations and Community Involvement
- Canadian Bar Association
- Victoria Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Past Director of the Urban Development Institute (Capital Region)
- Past Secretary, Treasurer, and Chair of CBA’s Young Lawyer’s Victoria Section
- Past Member of Organizing Committee for Victoria’s Battle of the Bar Bands